I love dogs. Since my children have grown and flown the coop, my three dogs have moved up in rank. They are now the only “children” in the house and believe me, they know it. They are spoiled with reserved seating on the couch and reclining chairs, petting and cuddles on demand, and more toys scattered about than my three actual children usually had. This is where I will insert their adorable portraits so you can keep their faces in mind while I share the next paragraphs.
The largest dog is actually the baby in the house. She is 7 ½ month-old Selena. We adopted her from a rescue about three weeks ago. She is incredibly smart and quite well-behaved already for a pup with no real training. These great attributes of her personality had lulled me into letting my guard down this past weekend. Apparently, you should never ever let your guard down with a puppy in the house. I learned this lesson after I left her alone downstairs just long enough for me to work-out and shower upstairs. I was gone for about an hour and a half, and this happened:
Okay, mental note, Selena has a thing for accent pillows. Brand. New. Pillows. Sigh.
The little black pug in the photos is 3 year-old, Izzy. Izzy is my cuddle buddy. She loves to crawl right up on my chest and get cheek to cheek with me. She also love kisses, and I’m okay with them being on the lips. After all, she is my dog-baby. But don’t let her innocent look fool you. You see the coffee cup in the photo with Izzy? The picture was taken just seconds after I caught her going in for a few sips… or should I say licks? No cup of coffee is safe around Izzy, and trust me, she is the last dog on earth to need caffeine.
The fawn colored pug mix is our old lady. She is really only 7 years-old, but Nike is the queen matriarch of the pack. She is super well-behaved 97% of the time. The other 3%, it’s raining outside so she has to pee on the floor, usually under a table where we won’t notice until it’s had time to soak into the laminate flooring.
The thing is, none of these less than desirable behaviors lessen my love for these glorious mutts. Not even a little. They destroy and I replace. They pee and I clean. They lick my coffee and I drink it anyhow. Don’t judge me. At the end of the day, when they want to climb into my lap and be showered with love, I am there for them. Always.
I imagine this is how God feels about me. As his rescued child, I don’t always behave in a desirable way. I destroy things he’s given me, like my health when I skip workouts and eat garbage. I don’t always exhibit self-control when temptation is placed in front of me. Sometimes I “go” where I shouldn’t, either physically or mentally. Yet He loves me. At the end of every day, His arms are still wide open for me to rest in his lap and receive His grace and affection.
I will leave you with this. He feels that way about YOU too. : )